Monday, May 5, 2008

Riemers Ranch Race

This was my 4th race....but it is the 5th in the series. I will also miss the next one due to work.....therefore, I will have to make the last 2 no matter what.

This is a great trail, very rocky and technical up front, with a fast down hill last section. I showed up pretty tired as I had driven over from working 5 14-16 hour days shooting in Houston. I got a good start.....entering the singletrack in 2nd or 3rd, but start feeling weird going into the first couple of climbs. I didn't want to bonk completely, so I let a few guys by and dropped in behind them. As I was nearing the end of the first lap, I began to feel better. So, I started to overtake and pass the guys ahead of me.

I passed a few more heading into lap 2, then started picking them off one by one. As we hit the fast downhill section, I was in 4th, but quickly moved into 3rd. I got held up behind a couple of racers from another class, I could have made the pass, but didn't want to risk it at the speeds we were going. I finally got by one guy, and as I was passing the second, he bobbled trying to make a rocky turn, and I got held up for about 5-7 seconds trying to get around him. We are now on the final stretch and it is fast. There is a short section of double track before you hit the last piece of single back to the finishline. It is here that I get passed by another guy making his move on the last lap also. I follow him in and finish 10 seconds in 4th.

Had I passed when I first caught the two guys earlier.....I wouldn't have been behind the one that bobbled.....and would never be caught...and would have finished 3rd. Will not make that mistake again.

No comments: