Sunday, March 16, 2008

Race 3 Outback Blowout


Week 3 finds us in Waco, a really sweet, fast, technical trail. I'm currently sitting in 1st place after 2 races and feel pretty good. I was on a shoot the last 3 days....most of that spent standing, but I still feel pretty strong. The geared bike is still down, so I will be on the single speed again. This could be a problem as this start is more suited to the guys with gears.

As I predicted.......the start killed me. I did get the jump...off to an early lead......for about 50 yards. The feild starts to catch and pass me and I enter the single track around 10th. This first part is very fast with no places to pass. I have no trouble hanging with the lead group, I'm actually trying to get by a couple of guys that are holding me back in the tight stuff. I start to get more aggessive, and pass a few guys in the trees......then pass a couple more during a rocky climb. A guy goes down in front of me and I get past him.......another climb.....I pass 3 more before we reach the top. Now, I'm on the tail of the second place dude. I've caught up to him and am hanging on his rear tire...........we hit a climb with a technical turn at the top. He takes the easier outside line.......I dive in tight and pass him. After a little while, I can see the first place guy through the trees and am gaining on him. SisSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, front tire starts spewing air. I ride it till it is almost coming off the rim........pull out my CO2 and hit it. I try to mess with where the air is leaking and get it slowed down. So I hop back on, but I have just watched most of the guys I passed fly by.

The tire is still going down, but more slowly, and I manage to finish the first lap and come into the feed zone.....again riding the rim. Do I put in a tube.....naw, lets fill it and see if I can get it stopped. I do get it to seal.........the tire is a little softer that I'd like but I'm out of CO2.....and I do not have time to mess with it. So, off I go trying to retake those that got ahead of me. I hit a lot of traffic but am making good passes.......some of them even in my group. I now have no idea of where I stand but just keep hammering it. I do pass a couple more Sport 50+ guys and finish in 6th place, just 4 minutes out of 1st. This is a 1st or 2nd place finish that got away, but I am happy I did finish and got some points!! I am still in first for the series......but only by 7 points instead of the 13 I had going into this race. The guy in second place overall took 4th today......good job dude.

There are 3, maybe 4 guys that could win this series. Luckily I'm one of them. I really have to stay strong and problem free for the remaining races. My good friend Steve finished 3rd and moved closer to me.....he also missed the first race and I'm skipping the next. If he does well there........could make things interesting. I wish him the best as he is a great guy and has gotten alot faster since last year. This is my best shot at the Championship Jersey, (most likely Steve's as well), if we have 5 top 5 finishes....we will both be moved to expert. No matter how I finish the series (be it 1st, 2nd, 3rd....hopefully not worse.....LOL)......if I have my place locked up......I will move to expert for the last race of the season.

1 comment:

Solcatia said...

Hey Shadow, bummer about the flat but you still rocked it! Glad you were able to finish and get some points, so nice save!

-Cathy